Sunday, October 2, 2011

October's here


I can't believe that September has already come and gone. I guess if I'm going to go to an apple orchard I better start making plans right away!

I love this time of year even though it means that the cold nastiness of January through April will soon follow. That cool chill in the morning air tells me that I better start winterizing my windows and doors. The garden hose and flower pots have to be stored away for the winter. My garden angels, frogs and turtles need a warm snug place to rest till spring. I feel like a squirrel driven by the desire t0 prepare for a long winter.


Once the yard is cleaned up for the season, I like to place a scarecrow in the empty flower beds. A few pots of mums and some corn stalks and pumpkins complete the scene. It's so simple, yet it makes my little place more homey and welcome. During the day, if it's warm enough, I like to open my window and listen to the rustling of the leaves and the corn stalks. It reminds me of a time when my children were younger. Their school was about a quarter mile from our house and during the day, it would be so quiet in the neighborhood that the only sounds I would hear would be that rustling of the corn stalks that I had tied to the front banisters. Then during lunch I could hear the children in the school yard, laughing and yelling. After lunch, the quiet would return, and the corn stalks would whisper and scratch against the window panes. It's one of my most favorite sounds.


When darkness arrives earlier and earlier, I like to close up the window curtains and bolt the front door. I burn a few apple cinnamon candles while I work on clay scarecrows and pumpkins. If an old Dracula movie isn't playing, I'm listening to music while I work or relax. It's a snug feeling and I will enjoy this until the drab days of January.

Until those cold days start, I'll be enjoying as much of what Michigan has to offer as possible. Another trip to Frankenmuth is in the works, a bonfire and a drive along the thumb area for the fall colors.

What do you like to do in October?

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Page Popularity