Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Little House in the Big Woods


When I was a child, my favorite author was Laura Ingalls Wilder. She wrote the Little House books, so when I get a chance I try to read some of the books to the kids in my program. Another activity I always work in is teaching the kids to make miniatures.

Two weeks ago I combined these two favorites into an activity that was so much fun, I thought I'd share it with you.

Several years ago, my friend, Mary Ann, found a log cabin on the side of the road. It was in perfect shape, complete with furniture. She handed it off to me and I've kept it ever since. It's about 30 inches wide, 18 inches tall and about 18 inches deep. I've used it for the last 5 years in all of my school programs. It is decorated for the seasons and it's one of the highlights of my room.

So, as I read The Little House In The Big Woods, the children and I made miniatures and turned the cabin into Laura's house. Here are some pictures and explanations of what we did.


  • We made miniature food, turkey, pumpkins, bread, pies
  • I printed out miniature pictures, newspapers and the kids glued them to foam core to make books and hanging pictures
  • We made clay pots and pans
  • In the lower right hand corner there's a little mouse
  • I purchased homespun material for table cloths and curtains
  • Beds were made from craft sticks, padded with tissues and then the homespun fabric
  • On the wall are the pictures of the Ingalls family
  • One of the girls made some stuffed clay animals to place on a bed


  • On the dinner table books wait to be read (McGuffey Readers)..I own several of these (the school I went to taught us from these books). I scanned them, and reduced them.
  • There's a candle in the middle of the table
  • The turkey is ready to be served.


  • The kids sewed the curtains. I nailed a nail on each side of the window. We slipped a craft stick through the hem and hung them up.
  • There are pictures of a president and a formal woman on the wall.



  • Shot of the house
  • The steps leading up stairs are craft sticks that we cut, painted and glued
  • In the attic there is an abundance of vegetables, like carrots, pumpkins and potatoes, enough to last them the whole winter
  • In the upper right hand corner of the attic are two books, "Little House In The Big Woods" and "MuGuffey's Reader."
I think the most fulfilling part of this project was that two of the girls in my program came to me last week, each with a book they had taken out from the library. Erica had taken out "The Little Town on The Prairie" and Alyssa had taken out "The Little House In The Big Woods." It's funny because even the librarian at the school knew who I was since Erica talked so much about what we had done and was so excited to read the House books.

To learn more about Laura Ingalls Wilder follow this link...Laura.

Don't forget to comment. This post is another chance to add your name to the drawing.
(The rules are on upper right side of the blog.)

3 comments:

Aloquin said...

Growing up, my favorite show was Little House on the Prairie. Just before I left NY, my mom and I would watch it all the time, this was only 2 months ago. I enjoyed doing research and finding out which characters were real, and which were fictionalized for the show. Melissa Gilbert did a fantastic job, and I've grown up admiring her and Almanzo's love. I'm a geek when it comes to stuff like that.

tracksaloquin@yahoo.com

Deb said...

I think we all have a little geek inside of us!

BrendaLea, the Prpldy said...

What a great project for you and your students! I never read the books, but used to watch all the shows.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Page Popularity